November 5, 2012 by Gina
I’m soon to be the mother of three children. At almost 34 weeks pregnant with our third child, it’s had me thinking about parenting and motherhood once again. This time, however, I’ve been thinking about the daily and weekly tasks that come with motherhood and seem so pointless. Here are a few of my thoughts:
- Wiping my childrens’ noses – the boogers just seem to reappear instantly after I wipe them clean. How can a 16 month old possibly produce gallons of mucus anyway? Where does it all come from?
- Similarly, cleaning their hands and faces after eating – I might as well just leave them dirty because the kids seem to attract dirt and grime regardless of the activity. Eating, of course, being the ultimate dirtfest – think a bowl of oatmeal over the head (instant hair gel) or spaghetti sauce over every inch of clothing.
- Sweeping and wiping up the kitchen/dining room floor – I must do this at least 4 times a day and it never seems to be clean. Inevitably, after I do a deep scrubbing of the kitchen floor, one of the boys makes a HUGE mess and undoes all my valient efforts.
- Cleaning up toys – I do make my boys do this after each activity but I help them and model the behavior. But a few minutes or hours later, the floor is once again covered in blocks, cars and fake food.
- Sleeping- I get little to no sleep these days, partly due to the pregnancy and partly because I’m a horrible sleeper anyway. I know this is going to get worse with a newborn in the house. UGH!
- Discipline – I might as well just never again say, “We don’t hit our brothers” or any other variation of this type of discipline. Seems to go in one ear and out the other. Heck, it may never have entered the ear canal, let alone the brain that says, yeah, maybe I shouldn’t kick, hit, punch, push or otherwise harm my baby brother!
I know that these tasks are not pointless, despite seeming that way. I’m teaching my children organization, cleanliness, orderliness and all of that. Not to mention I like a clean, orderly home and kids who smell and look good! Can you imagine what they’d look like if I didn’t wipe their boogers? I don’t want to think about it! But most days, these things do seem unending and undone so quickly.
What’s on your list of mothering activities that just never seems to end or seems pointless?