November 9, 2012 by Gina
Sometimes coming up with something for dinner seems like the hardest task of the day. Other days, it seems so easy. On Sunday, I made dinner for that night and also prepared dinner in the crockpot for Monday’s dinner. My MOMS (MOMS Offering Moms Support) Club recently re-started “Crockpot Monday”. One of the moms sends out a crockpot recipe a few days ahead of time. We all make it that day for our dinner and then we get together in the afternoon for a playdate. When we return home, dinner is ready to go!
So, thanks to my MOMS club for this recipe, Crockpot Chicken Bake. It is also gluten-free and very easy to make. I had all these ingredients on hand and if you have leftover chicken, this recipe is even faster and easier.
1 cup salsa verde or 1 (7 ounce) jar of tomatillo sauce
1 cup fat free sour cream or plain Greek Yogurt
1 garlic clove, minced
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
8 Mission Extra Thin Corn Tortillas
2 cups cooked, shredded chicken
1 cup reduced fat grated cheddar cheese
1. Mix cilantro, salsa, Greek Yogurt and garlic in a bowl.
2. Spray crockpot with non-stick cooking spray. Place 2 or 3 tortillas in the bottom of the crock pot. (overlapping as much as possible, you can cut them to fit if necessary)
3. Spoon 1/4 of the salsa mixture over the tortillas. Spread 1/2 chicken over the mixture and cover evenly with 1/4 cup of cheese.
4. Top with 2 or 3 more tortillas and spoon 1/4 of salsa mixture, remainder of chicken and 1/4 cup of cheese.
5. Place last 2 or 3 tortillas over the second layer and top with the rest of the salsa mixture and the remainder of the cheese.
6. Cover and cook on low for 4 hours.