November 21, 2012 by Melissa
While I’m a grateful person, it is easy, sometimes, to fall into the trap of complaining about things in my life. I think it’s a way of not boasting about all that I’m blessed with and to make others feel comfortable that I have some difficulty, too. But I don’t. I am abundantly blessed and this is the time of year to acknowledge it and to fall to my knees in gratitude.
Here’s my short, but full, list of some of what I have:
1. My marriage-my husband and I celebrated 11 years of marriage this past September and we’ve been lucky that we happened to marry our best friend and someone that we continue to grow with as we grow up. Our marriage is easy and lovely and full. Full of laughs, of conversation, of growth, of sex, of tradition, of support, of respect. I love that my kids get to witness our marriage every day.
2. My children-they are healthy, smart, active, curious, funny, sweet, and loving girls. I am overwhelmed each day with love and admiration for them and for who they are turning out to be. While I’m not my best self all of the time with them, I’m always better than I would have been without them.
3. My family-I have the greatest mother, father, brothers, sisters-in-law, nieces, nephews, grandma, mother-in-law, father-in-law, brothers-in-law, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. that a girl could ever hope to have surrounding her. We support, we laugh, we celebrate, we mourn, we help. They make me better and make life a really lovely experience.
4. My health-I’m healthy, I have insurance, and I have fantastic doctors and nurses who take great care of me. I have a support system in my family that is unrivaled. I’m lucky.
5. My friends-I’m not one to dole out my friendship easily but the friends I do have are very dear to me. They don’t judge, they support, they make me laugh, they let me cry. Amazing men and women who mean the world to me.
I’m grateful for so much more than this but these are the biggest sources of joy in my life and the reasons I’m able to enjoy everything else. I’m giving thanks for them tomorrow and every day.
Happy thanksgiving everyone. I hope you find your life to be as abundant, however you define blessings or abundance.
Do share: what are you grateful for today?