April 8, 2013 by Gina
I start my new job today and as I said on Friday, there are lots of mixed emotions about this new adventure. It’s exciting and fun to start a new career! And after four years of being at home with my boys I am looking forward to doing something for myself, for having another life outside of being a mom and for new challenges.
Yet…I know there are going to be SO many things I will miss about being home with my boys fulltime. I probably won’t be able to list them all or even know what they are for a few days or weeks, but here are my initial thoughts on what I’ll miss about being a stay-at-home-mom:
- seeing my boys first thing in the morning every morning – they are so fresh and excited in the morning and more prone to hugs and kisses
- holding hands with my almost four-year-old when we snuggle together on the couch or in bed for quiet/nap time
- nursing my four month old every day – I LOVE this time. It’s such a bonding time for both of us and one of the few times I actually sit down for more than two minutes during the day
- watching my boys do things for the first time or experience something new
- the sweet voices they have and that I hear most of the day (they do yell and test those boundaries often)
- going to their activities – early childhood and family education (ECFE), gymnastics and summer programs
- playdates with my friends and support system – they have been such a life saver over these four years. It is such a comfort and blessing to know that I don’t have to experience this motherhood thing alone – I have made AMAZING friends over these years (two of the best write this blog with me) and I draw strength from these mothers and families. THANK YOU! I will miss being with them so frequently
- getting kisses, high-fives, hugs and fist bumps whenever I want from these little boys
- knowing and being their primary caregiver. I’m glad I can hand it over to my husband who will do an awesome job but it’s still hard to give it up
There are countless more things I’ll miss, but in the end the thing I’ll miss more than anything else is getting to spend so much time with my three boys. I know I’ll spend my days wondering what they are doing, what they are saying and how they are doing. I love them as we all love our children but I know they will be eagerly waiting for me when I get home everyday from work. I’ll greet them with open arms and a BIG smile for each one.